NATIONAL SCIENCE FOUNDATION
2415 Eisenhower Avenue
Alexandria, Virginia 22314
Dear HSI Community,
The National Science Foundation (NSF) has committed to expanding efforts to ensure that underrepresented groups and diverse institutions across the U.S. have equitable opportunities to produce a diverse STEM workforce. The Improving Undergraduate STEM Education: Hispanic Serving Institutions (HSI) program has been a pillar in that work. HSIs are rapidly growing. They comprise 70% of all Minority Serving Institutions (MSIs). Additionally, on average, half of the HSI student body are Pell grant recipients and a significant number of them are first-generation students1 2 3 4. With Hispanics/Latinos projected to comprise 25 percent of the U.S. population by 2045, the HSI-Net will help sustain the economic and social well-being of the U.S.1 5 6 HSIs enroll two-thirds of all Hispanic/Latino college students, more Black students than HBCUs (Historically Black Colleges and Universities), and more Native American students than TCUs (Tribal Colleges and Universities). Given STEM workforce needs and demographic shifts in the US, there is a clear need for a network to support HSIs and expand the reach, impact, and effectiveness of HSI Program goals and strategies1 2 5.
We are inviting the HSI community to participate in Listening Sessions to discuss the progress made in our collective efforts to achieve more diversity and equity in STEM undergraduate education.
To engage the HSI community in a conversation that checks the pulse of the HSI community. The objectives of the Listening Session are
• To understand what is important for the success of HSI -Net and identify any identifiable gaps in academic support services which should be considered, to effectively broaden participation in STEM and reduce STEM education equity gaps.
• To learn more about connecting research, practice and policy to address the “Servingness” and “intersectionality” to move from a Hispanic Serving to a Hispanic Serving Institution?
• To promote authentic engagement of HSI community, as partners, in community transformation
The Listening Sessions will be held virtually via Zoom.
Each session will be two hours long and will begin with a general introduction to the session followed by break-out sessions.
The Listening Sessions will be on the dates and times below. Please click on the desired date to register.
• Thursday, July 28th (11:00am – 1:00pm ET)
• Tuesday, August 9th (3:00 – 5:00pm ET)
• Wednesday, August 17th (2:00 – 4:00pm ET)
Who should Attend:
• Current PIs
• Potential PIs
• Hispanic Serving Institutions (HSIs) administrators and faculty, including community colleges
• Organizations that have a focus on HSIs
In preparation for the Listening Sessions, the attached document provides you with context that will guide our conversation and discussion questions. We encourage you to review the material, including the solicitations (HSI program and HSI-Net) in preparation for the Listening Session.
The HSI Team
NIFA & HACU WEBINAR – April 21, 2022
NSF HSI National STEM Resource Hub: Grantmanship Mini-Workshops for HSI Faculty & Staff-FEB/MAR 2022
The NSF HSI National STEM Resource Hub is offering half day Grantsmanship Mini-Workshops for HSI faculty and staff during spring 2022. Participation in these virtual workshops is free and limited to 24 attendees to enable small group discussion and networking. Workshops convene between 8 am and 1 pm Pacific Time.
Please apply at this link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/miniworkshop-spr2022
- Feb 11, 2022 Preparing an NSF CAREER application – for junior faculty
- Feb 18, 2022 Program Evaluation for STEM Education grant proposals
- March 4, 2022 Revising an NSF proposal for resubmission
- March 18, 2022 Designing research questions for STEM Education grant proposals
2021-September Speaker Series
HSI FORUM 2020
TxHSIC represented during HSI FORUM 2019
- Status of the TxHSI Consortium_2019 (powerpoint)